The rich history of Grace St-Paul’s dates back to the early 1800’s when Methodism was first brought to the area and a large church was built on West Broadway, West Mauch Chunk. This church would eventually be named “St. Paul’s” . In 1868 another church was built in East Mauch Chunk on 5th and Center Streets as a mission of St. Paul’s and would eventually be called “Grace”. In the early 1950’s, the membership of St. Paul’s church had declined and the two churches began to share a pastor. In the 1960s, Grace and St. Paul’s began sharing their pastor with Meed’s church in Nesquehoning. In 1976, due to declining membership, St. Paul’s church was closed and combined with Grace church and Grace-St. Paul’s was formed. The congregation met at the Grace Church building at 5th & Center Street, Jim Thorpe. Grace-St. Paul’s still shared their pastor with Meed’s.
In 2005, God led the congregation and Pastor in a vision that included a move to a new building at 40 Church Road, Penn Forest Township, Jim Thorpe. The property was dedicated in October, 2006 and the first worship service was held at our current location on February 17, 2007. During all these changes and steps of faith, GSP still shared a pastor with Meeds.
In July, 2011, the pastoral charge moved to 3/4 time with the appointment of Pastor Brad Leight, who was at that time a Licensed Local Pastor attending seminary toward ordination and we stopped sharing our pastor with Meeds. Under Pastor Brad’s leadership, the congregation of this “small church on the mountain” continued to grow and flourish and on January 10, 2016, a second Sunday service (reframe) was added. After prayerful consideration, the leadership and congregation of GSP decided at a Congregational Conference on June 26, 2016 to make the historic move to answer God’s call to take the next step and support full-time pastoral leadership going forward. As of July 1, 2016, GSP has a full-time pastor for the first time in over 50 years.